Monday, April 12, 2010

Collecting CDs

Listening

Since going back to Uni this year I have started my music collection almost completely from scratch. I left my entire CD collection (hard copy) at my mum’s house in Nowra, almost none of which are on my iTunes collection. My iTunes collection is compiled almost completely of new stuff that I have started to check out since going back to Uni. A lot of the music is of artists that have ‘trustable’ names that I haven’t really got WAY into before (but have heard a bit of). Artists like Pat Metheney, Chet Baker and Cannonball Alderley. Unfortunately these artists (and many others) were mostly disappointing. I often found myself resorting to new albums, that I haven’t heard before, of artists that I really like (as opposed to artists I know I ‘should’ like). It was either that or cling to the precious few albums that I kept in circulation that have always been favourites. Unfortunately of the completely new names that I’ve checked out relatively few have really got me tweaking and found their way into regular circulation.

I’ve put these regulations on my collection for a few reasons. One was just to force myself to expand and stop myself from getting stuck in a rut. Another one was just to change, which is pretty much the same thing. I believe in growing. I believe in searching and pushing forward no matter what the circumstance or outcome. A different group of CDs makes for a different group of sounds that are familiar, which makes for different music making. I think for me, because listening to a wide variety of music has such a big influence on my music making, changing my CD collection would be a good way to change my music. It has been changing. But such a small amount of genres, artists and bands grab me that I find myself resorting back to albums that are sacred. These are the albums that I’ve listened to for years, but not in years, and had huge musical impact on me when I first heard them. Albums like: “Broken River” by Tim O’Dwyer Trio and “Anatomy of Tongue in Cheek” by Reliant K. I guess things just start to happen when you listen to music intensely for years on end. We can’t expect to expand in the exact same manner that we are now forever. In a composition lecture I was in recently Larry Sitsky said something relative to this subject. He said that so much is available now that we have to ignore certain things. We have to choose to deal with only a certain amount of music. I think I’m getting to that point. There is still a lot more out there that I want to check out and I hope I am always a pro-multi-genre believer. But when you generalise too much it can get hard to remember the finer details of what one truly loves the most. Balance the pyramid.

1 comment: